Welcome to Just Juniors

In September of 2008, my 7th daughter Samara was born 9 weeks early. 4 weeks later, she was diagnosed with Down Syndrome. My self-therapy in learning to fully embrace her diagnosis involved designing t-shirts that portrayed Down Syndrome in a positive light. It is from this that my business, designing disability awareness products, has grown.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Some new designs at last....

Well, I finally dug the old laptop out of storage. The one that has Photoshop on it, but also has the distinct disadvantage of the fan not being powerful enough to keep it cool! I have been itching to do some more designs for a while now, so here are the latest 4....

This one is customisable, so you can put in your own childs name and disability.

For the boys. And.....

For the girls!

And for those who are a little bit older!

Not many, I know, but it takes so long to upload them all to Cafe Press! Hopefully now that I have dug this computer our of hiding, I will get quite a few more done.

I have quite a collection of sayings, and am slowly working my way through them. But what I really need is to hear what you would like! So far I have made a few designs for those who wanted something specific to their childs disability, and I have learned a lot along the way. I am always open to new ideas, so feel free to share in the comments section.

On a more personal note, we have our 2nd eldest daughter staying with us from Christchurch, New Zealand. She heads back on Tuesday, but is leaving us for Brisbane tomorrow :( For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to be living there right now, let alone 2 of my children, but I guess at 22 and 19, they consider themselves indestructable!

Samara has been having a difficult winter, with me spending copious amounts of time sitting up in bed with her so she can breathe. Then to make things interesting, her eardrum burst the other day, due to an infection. This could prove to be a problem, as she is due to have her grommets replaced in the next few weeks, so it could affect the surgery dates. We have been spending most of our time at home, trying to keep her away from all the bugs going around. But, I'm not convinced it's really working!!

Disability Services, out here in the middle of nowhere, has taken a big Government funding cut, and we are now loosing our Local Area Co-ordinators. They were such an awesome couple (husband and wife were both employed there), and now we have just had to say goodbye to them. Roma won't be the same for many people without them.

Roma also lost a dear little treasure this week. Bethany Waldron was a young girl with Cerebral Palsy. She was known by pretty much everyone in this small country town. In fact, the town had just rallied and raised $30,000 for a wheelchair lift to be added to their van. But she spent the last couple of weeks fighting off pnuemonia, and finally succumed on Thursday morning. I didn't know her well. I am a newbie to town. But still, my heart is feeling very sad and heavy. How can one ever reconcile the death of a child?

Now I am feeling sad. And don't feel like saying much else. So I'll leave it there for now. Hopefully I'll be a bit cheerier next time. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment